Tuesday, 19 May 2026

Cruise ship outbreaks fail to scare off travelers ahead of busy summer season

Despite recent hantavirus and norovirus outbreaks, cruise demand remains strong, experts say, with over 38 million ocean cruise passengers projected this year.


Cruise ship outbreaks fail to scare off travelers ahead of busy summer season

Cruise industry experts say demand remains strong heading into the busy summer travel season, despite recent illness cases reported on several ships.

The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) recently projected that more than 38 million people worldwide will take ocean cruises this year, up from a record 37.2 million passengers last year, according to The Associated Press.

"I have eight cruises booked, and I'll absolutely be booking another," cruise blogger Jenni Fielding told the AP.

Fielding said cruise vacations remain as safe as other types of travel when passengers follow health guidance and stay aware of official updates.

Fox News Digital also recently reported on a norovirus outbreak aboard the Caribbean Princess that sickened more than 100 passengers and crew members.

CruiseCompete CEO Bob Levinstein told the AP that bookings through the company increased by more than 30% during the first half of May, compared to the same period last year.

"I can categorically say that we have not seen any drop in demand," Levinstein said.

Many cruises are also booked months in advance - making recent health concerns less likely to immediately affect travel plans.

"I'm leaving … next week. It hasn't even occurred to me to be worried about the hantavirus," one user wrote.

"Never crosses my mind at all. Cruise on!" one person wrote.

Industry experts said that while cruise lines have voluntary passenger protections in place, policies can vary depending on the situation and the cruise operator involved.

Brittany Miller and Jessica Mekles of Fox News Digital, along with The Associated Press, contributed reporting.

you may also like

Cruise ship outbreaks fail to scare off travelers ahead of busy summer season
  • by foxnews
  • descember 09, 2016
Cruise ship outbreaks fail to scare off travelers ahead of busy summer season

Despite recent hantavirus and norovirus outbreaks, cruise demand remains strong, experts say, with over 38 million ocean cruise passengers projected this year.

read more